By armored doors we mean a real "defense tool" against break-in attempts and is therefore also defined, with a more technical expression, as an anti-intrusion door.
This has particular characteristics that distinguish it from other types of doors.
Armored doors consist of the following components.
1. Subframe in thick steel sheet usually mm. 2 or 3
2. door made of double steel sheet 1 mm and / or 1.5 mm thick, in some cases also by a third steel sheet to protect the lock and its closing mechanisms;
3. Steel piston armored door diverters usually snap into the bottom and top of the door frame. They can be 1 piston.
Or double piston
4. the armored door frame is made of 2.5 mm thick steel profiles (also 3 and 4 mm thick), with one or more Z-folds, screwed to the counterframe if it is a frame made of press-formed sheet metal. folded;
5. classification according to the UNI EN 1627/1630 standard;
6. generally a mechanical lock classified with UN EN 12209, combined with a triple bit lock protected by 1 or 2 manganese steel plates.
7. It happens that the armored doors are opened very easily, when the door is closed carelessly without giving the classic sends and if the armored door is not equipped with an "anti-card" device, one is easily face to face with the thieves !!
The anti-card device is an indispensable accessory.
8. Opening limiter allows partial opening of the door, increasing its safety.
9. Magic eye or peephole in brass-plated metal for armored doors.
The latest generation is the digital peephole connected to a camera and is the evolution of the classic metal peephole. The installation does not require authorizations or warning signs.
It is necessary to carry out maintenance and adjust the security door, to ensure its validity and correct functioning.
The average weight of an armored door is around 65 kg, which is supported entirely by the hinges. The hinge consists of two elements: one fixed to the frame and one to the door itself. The two elements rotate by means of a pin inserted in the middle. Therefore, it is essential that they are resistant and fully functional.
It is possible that with time and use, the grains of the hinges will displace, canceling the perfect alignment between the door and the frame. In these cases it is necessary to adjust them as soon as possible, because you could run into complications such as:
- Scratch the floor
- That it is not possible to insert the sends
- Let there be drafts
How is a security door adjusted?
To adjust the height of the security door:
1) 11) first of all you have to make sure that there is no dust or debris on the zipper,
2) 22) screw or unscrew the height adjustment dowel (usually with a 6 mm hex wrench),
3) 33) When it is no longer possible to rotate, it means that the security door has been raised enough to make it work properly again.
To adjust a door in width, you need to align the hinge bolts a few turns, so that you can adjust the door as precisely as possible. To carry out this procedure, however, it takes two people, so that one unscrews the bolts and the other aligns the door.
Here is the diagram how to adjust the height and width of the security door.
If, on the other hand, the hinge squeaks,
it is necessary to lift and then remove the door, extract the two pins and clean them carefully, since very often the creaking of the hinges is due to annoying patinas of dirt and lack of lubrication.
subsequently for cleaning and lubrication use a synthetic spray oil. Do not use cooking oil for any reason.
How do you make sure that the seals work properly?
The door seals can basically be of two types: sponge and rubber. The former are very soft and easily adapt to the frame, while the rubber ones are slightly more complicated to position, precisely because they are more rigid. It is very common for door seals to wear out, and this often causes the door itself to malfunction, such as drafts and a greater perception of external noises.
To check that they work correctly, you can simply insert a sheet of paper between the door and the frame and try to extract it: if we find resistance, the gasket is firm and intact, if the sheet slips off easily, the gasket of the our door is worn out and we need to complete a change of the same seal. It is advisable to ask for help from a professional to proceed with this operation.
What is a mobile threshold seal?
A gasket with a mobile threshold or, more simply, a mobile threshold, can sometimes be the biggest enemy of drafts, in fact it is basically a cold draft seal that:
1) Attenuates external noises
2) Effectively reduces drafts
3) It has a very reasonable price, usually around 25-30 euros
The maintenance of it is very simple, just unscrew the piston a few complete turns, to make the door rotate freely.
But what if the handle doesn't come back up?
What characterizes the security door is precisely the locking system, therefore the lock and switches, and it is necessary that everything is kept in maximum functionality. In the long run, it is possible that the armored door handle does not come back up, after being lowered, it does not come back up, this defect depends on the spring, which may have been broken or dislocated. In these cases it is necessary to proceed with a change of the entire lock, to avoid further problems.
If, on the other hand, the latch (slide) of the lock does not move, the reasons could essentially be two:
- The spring used to keep the latch in position has broken and no longer holds the latch in tension;
- The handle pushes on the square that connects it to the lock.
If the lock throws do not fit well into the frame,
you may have a problem with the operation of the lock. We can see this from the fact that if the throws do not enter only with the door closed, only the adjustment of the armored door hinges is necessary, but if the problem also exists with the door open, it is advisable to have the door checked by a technician.
Types of security door lock.
Double bit lock:
with this type of lock it is usually used in class 2 armored doors or rarely in class 3 armored doors
with these locks, it may happen that one of the internal slats bends or misaligns, in these cases, it is advisable to change the entire lock, since lubricating would be useless.
It is advisable not to have this type of lock, because it is very unreliable and efficient. If you have a door with this type of lock, it is much better to change it and replace it with a more modern and secure lock.
If the pistons resist when you try to turn the key, never lubricate with oil, it would engulf the dust present on the surface, causing the springs to lock inside the cylinder, rather try with a graphite-based dry spray.
The double-bit lock, lately does not give a guarantee of safety! as the "latest generation" thieves manage to open it with the so-called Bulgarian key! see the video
How the Bulgarian key works, it allows you to reconstruct the profile of the key of a "double bit" lock without having the key and without removing the lock of the security door. The Bulgarian pick is made up of two tools, a pull rod and a "soft comb key", or even the most sophisticated models consist of a single tool that integrates the two functions: the so-called "magic key".
The operation is the same: "the tie rod / tensioner pulls the lock carriage, as the key normally does when it is rotated, after which the soft comb key is inserted, which has a shape compatible with that of the original key and teeth that have the ability to move By slightly moving the tensor / tie rod and soft comb key, the small vibrations move the teeth of the soft key until it takes the shape of the "original" key.
Once the first half of the key has been obtained, repeat the operation for the other half of the key. By putting together the two shapes of the Bulgarian key, the ill-intentioned person has the entire key of the lock at his disposal, so much so that he could open and close the armored door.
Even how easy it is to get hold of this tool, which you can also find on ebay just enter the following search text: ebay Bulgarian key or even Bulgarian key only.
Seen how easy it is to open an armored door with a double bit lock !!
The European cylinder lock is quite different
European cylinder lock.
The lock with European cylinder is usually used in class 3 door class 4 armored door or class 5 armored door or even in class 6 armored door
How do you replace a European cylinder?
The European cylinder lock is much more reliable and resistant than an old double bit. It is likely that over the years the lock will wear out and stop working, and in these cases it is always better to replace it.
The change must be carried out strictly with the door open and with the throws inserted in the lock and is done following a simple procedure:
1. Remove the plate that is around the old cylinder;
We unscrew all the screws;
3. Turn the key about 15 degrees, both to the right and to the left, to ensure that the cam aligns, making it easier for us to extract the cylinder;
4. We carefully disassemble and reassemble the cylinder, exchanging the old one with the new one;
5. We insert the new cylinder all the way;
6. We do the "litmus test", giving the turns with the construction site key, if everything works correctly, we proceed;
7. We tighten all the screws well, which will serve to ensure stability to the cylinder;
8. Finally, we reassemble the plate.
We open the sealed package with the definitive keys and send the orders with the definitive keys ... as soon as this operation is performed, the construction key will no longer work and only the definitive keys will work.
The most modern type of lock is undoubtedly the electronic one, or electric lock, it works like the classic one, only a remote control is used to unlock the lock, or it can be operated via a numerical code, recreating the key effect.
Usually the electric lock is used in armored gates or doors and guarantees the same, if not higher, security than the classic key lock, but with more convenience, such as the ability to open our armored door even at a distance of 2-3 meters.
In case of emergency, the security door can always be opened with the supplied keys:
Home automation is the new frontier of habitability and aims to:
1. Reduce management costs
2. improve safety
3. Simplify the design, installation, security door maintenance and use of technology
4. improve the quality of life
5. convert old environments and old systems.
Assembling an electric lock is actually very simple, just:
1) disassemble the cylinder on the existing lock and fix it
2) apply the motor unit including the card on the cylinder stem up to the stop of the lock.
Here is an advertisement on ebay of a lock group to be applied to an already installed security door. Go to the ad
In high-end door models, the magnetic contact is recently supplied as standard to be able to connect the home alarm. Or even with a simple connection with Alexia or GOOGLE he can automatically send an email. Go to the ad
Cleaning and maintenance of the wooden cladding panels.
Each armored door is equipped with a cladding panel, which normally does not need maintenance, but it is very important that it is kept clean since, being in laminate, you could run into bad smells or stains.
It is advisable to clean once a month (it only takes a few minutes) with a simple damp cloth and aggressive products are strictly not recommended !!!
Most of the spray products on the market do not carry out any protective action and can even be harmful, drying up the surface of the wood.
For ordinary maintenance, the following are sufficient:
· A cloth moistened with water
· Neutral soap for the most stubborn stains
Another equally effective solution, for ordinary maintenance:
WATER at 90% ALCOHOL at 10%
Pass a clean and well wrung cloth over the entire surface of the wood to remove all traces of dirt and dust.
Carefully check corners and crevices to remove any dust deposits.
Go over the entire surface of the door with a clean and dry cloth to remove any trace of humidity. for both procedures, arm yourself with a little patience.
At this stage, no aggressive chemicals should be used, which could deteriorate its appearance.
A simple cloth with a little water fully accomplishes the task.
If stubborn marks, fingerprints or stains are present, just use neutral soap. Marseille soap can also be used without problems.
An armored door lasts a lifetime, but like anything it undergoes wear, so a small armored door maintenance every year is essential.