By armored doors we mean a real "defense tool" from break-in attempts and is therefore also defined, with a more technical expression, anti-intrusion door.
This has particular characteristics that distinguish it from other types of doors
Armored doors are composed of the following components.
1. Counter frame in thick sheet steel, normally mm. 2 or 3
2. Door made of double 1 mm and / or 1.5 mm thick steel sheet, in some cases also by a third steel sheet to protect the lock and its closing mechanisms;
3. The diverters of steel piston armored doors usually fit into the bottom and top of the door frame. They can be 1 piston.
or double piston
4. Armored door frame is made with 2.5 mm thick steel profiles (also 3 and 4 mm thick), having one or more Z-folds, screwed to the counterframe if it is a frame made of press-folded sheet metal;
5. classification according to UNI EN 1627/1630;
6. generally a mechanical lock classified with UN EN 12209, combined with a triple bit lock protected by 1 or 2 manganese steel plates.
7. It happens that the armored doors are opened very easily, when you carelessly close the door without giving the classic throws and if the armored door is not equipped with an "anti-card" device, you are easily faced with thieves !!
The anti-board device is an indispensable accessory.
8. Opening limiter allows partial opening of the door, increasing safety.
9.Magic eye or peephole in brass-plated metal for armored door
The digital peephole connected to a camera is the latest generation and is the evolution of the classic metal peephole. Installation does not require authorizations or warning signs.
Maintenance must be carried out and the armored door adjusted, to guarantee its validity and correct operation.
The average weight of an armored door is around 65 kg, which is supported entirely by the hinges. The hinge consists of two elements: one fixed to the frame and one to the door itself. The two elements rotate by means of a pin inserted in the middle. Therefore, it is essential that they are resistant and fully functional.
It is possible that over time and with use, the grains of the hinges will displace, canceling the perfect alignment between the door and the frame. In these cases, it is necessary to adjust them as soon as possible, because complications such as:
- Scratch the floor
- That you cannot enter the sends
- That drafts are created
To adjust the height of the security door:
1) first of all it must be ensured that there is no dust or debris on the zipper,
2) screw or unscrew the height adjustment dowel (usually with a 6 mm hex key),
3) When you can no longer rotate, it means that the armored door has been raised sufficiently to make it work properly again.
To adjust a door in width, the hinge bolts must be aligned a few turns, so that the door can be adjusted as precisely as possible. To carry out this procedure, however, it takes two people, so that one unscrews the bolts and the other aligns the door.
Here in the diagram how to adjust the height and width of the armored door.
If instead the hinge creaks
it is necessary to raise and then remove the door, extract the two pins and clean them carefully, since very often the creaking of the hinges is due to annoying patina of dirt and lack of lubrication.
then for cleaning and lubrication use a synthetic spray oil. Never use cooking oil for any reason.
How do you make sure the seals are working properly?
Door seals can basically be of two types: sponge and rubber. The former are very soft and easily adapt to the frame, while the rubber ones are slightly more complicated to position, precisely because they are more rigid. It is very common that the door seals wear out, and this often causes a malfunction of the door itself, such as drafts and a greater perception of external noise.
To check that they work correctly, you can simply insert a sheet of paper between the door and the frame and try to extract it: if we find resistance, the gasket is firm and intact, if instead the sheet slips easily away, the gasket of the our door is worn and we must complete a change of the same gasket. It is recommended to seek help from a professional to proceed with this operation.
A gasket with a movable threshold or more simply, a movable threshold, can sometimes be the biggest enemy of drafts, in fact it is basically a parafreddo gasket that:
1) Attenuates external noises
2) Effectively reduces drafts
3) It has a very reasonable price, usually around 25-30 euros
The maintenance of it is very simple, just unscrew the piston a few complete turns, to make the door rotate freely.
What if the handle does not go back up?
What characterizes the armored door is precisely the closing system, therefore lock and diverters, and it is necessary that everything is kept in maximum functionality. In the long run, it is possible that the armored door handle does not go back up, after being lowered, it does not go back up, this defect depends on the spring, which can be broken or dislocated. In these cases it is necessary to proceed with a change of the entire lock, to avoid further problems.
If, on the other hand, the latch bolt (slide) of the lock does not move, there could be two main reasons:
- The spring able to keep the latch in position has broken and no longer holds the latch in tension;
- The handle pushes on the panel that connects it to the lock.
If the lock strikes do not fit well into the frame,
you may have a problem with the operation of the lock. We can see from the fact that if the delivery not only enters with the door closed, only the adjustment of the armored door hinges is necessary, if instead the problem persists even with the door open, it is good to have a technician check the door.
Double bit lock:
with this type of lock it is usually used in class 2 armored doors or rarely in class 3 armored doors
with these locks, it may happen that one of the internal blades becomes bent or misaligned, in these cases, it is advisable to change the entire lock, since lubricating would be useless.
It is advisable not to have this type of lock, because it is very unreliable and efficient. If you have a door with this type of lock, it is much better to change it and replace it with a more modern and secure lock.
If the pistons resist when trying to turn the key, never lubricate with oil, it would absorb the dust present on the surface, causing the springs to lock inside the cylinder, rather try with a dry graphite-based spray.
The double bit lock, lately not a guarantee of security! as "last generation" thieves manage to open it with the so-called Bulgarian key! see the movie
How does the Bulgarian key work? it allows to reconstruct the key profile of a "double bit" lock without having the key and without removing the lock of the armored door. The Bulgarian pick is composed of two tools, a tie rod and a "soft comb key", or even the most sophisticated models consist of a single tool that integrates the two functions: the so-called "magic key".
The operation is the same: "the tie rod / tensioner pulls the lock carriage, as the key normally does when it is turned, after which the soft comb key is inserted, which has a shape compatible with that of the original key and teeth that have the possibility to move. By slightly moving the tensioner / tie rod and soft key to comb the small vibrations move the teeth of the soft key until they assume the shape of the "original" key.
Once the first half of the key is obtained, the operation is repeated for the other half of the key. By combining the two shapes of the Bulgarian key, the evil intentioned has the entire key of the lock available, so much so that it could open and close the armored door.
Even how easy it is to obtain this tool, which can also be found on ebay, just enter the following search text: Bulgarian key ebay or even just Bulgarian key.
See how easy it is to open an armored door with double-bitted lock!!
the lock with European cylinder is very different
European cylinder lock.
The lock with European cylinder is usually used in class 3 doors, class 4 armored door or class 5 armored door or even in class 6 armored doors.
The European cylinder lock is much more reliable and resistant than an old double bit. Over the years, the lock is likely to wear out and stop working, and in these cases it is always better to replace it.
The change must be carried out strictly with the door open and with the delivery inserted in the lock and is done following a simple procedure:
1. We remove the plate that is around the old cylinder;
2. We unscrew all the screws;
3. We turn the key about 15 degrees, both to the right and to the left, to make the cam align, facilitating the extraction of the cylinder;
4. We carefully disassemble and reassemble the cylinder, exchanging the old one for the new one;
5. We insert the new cylinder completely;
6. we do the "litmus test", giving the throws with the site key, if everything works correctly, we proceed;
7. We tighten all the screws, which will serve to guarantee stability to the cylinder;
8. Finally, we reassemble the plate.
We open the sealed package with the final keys and we send the final keys ... as soon as this is done, the site key will no longer work and only the final keys will work.
The most modern type of lock is undoubtedly the electronic one,
o electric lock, it works like the classic one, only to unlock the closure, a remote control is used, or it can be operated by numerical code, going to recreate the key effect.
Usually the electric lock is used in gates or armored doors and guarantees the same security, if not higher, than the classic key lock, but with more convenience, such as the possibility of opening our armored door even at a distance of 2-3 meters.
In the event of an emergency, the security door can always be opened with the keys provided:
Home automation is the new frontier of habitability and aims to:
Assembling an electric lock is actually very simple, just:
1) remove the cylinder on the existing lock and secure it
2) apply the motor unit including card on the cylinder shank up to the lock stop.
Here on ebay an insertion of a lock group to be applied on an armored door already installed. Go to the listing
In the high-end door models, the magnetic contact is recently supplied as standard in order to connect the home alarm. Or even with a simple connection with Alexia or GOOGLE can automatically send an email. Go to the listing
Each armored door is equipped with a covering panel, which normally does not need maintenance, but it is very important that it is kept clean since, being in laminate, you could run into bad smells or stains.
It is advisable to clean once a month (it only takes a few minutes) with a simple damp cloth and aggressive products are strictly not recommended !!!
Most of the spray products on the market do not carry out any protective action and can even be harmful, by drying up the surface of the wood.
For routine maintenance the following are sufficient:
· A cloth moistened with water
· Neutral soap for the most stubborn stains
· Another equally effective solution, for ordinary maintenance: 90% WATER 10% ALCOHOL
Pass a clean, well-wrung cloth over the entire surface of the wood to remove all traces of dirt and dust.
Carefully check corners and crevices to remove any dust deposits.
Go over the entire surface of the door with a clean, dry cloth to remove any trace of humidity. for both procedures, arm yourself with a little patience.
At this stage, aggressive chemicals should not be used, which could deteriorate their appearance.
A simple cloth with a little water fully fulfills the task.
If streaks, fingerprints or stubborn stains are present, it is sufficient to use neutral soap. Marseille soap can also be used without problems.
A security door lasts a lifetime, but like anything it goes to wear and tear, so a small security door maintenance every year is essential.